Callan To Unveil The Lost Trinity Stone

On Saturday the 23rd of July 2011, after 6.30 pm mass in the Parish Church in Callan, [Map Ref:] (Latter town close to Tipperary’s border with the village of Mullinahone.) the long lost Trinity Stone will be unveiled to the public at its new location in the porch of that church.

Trinity Stone Callan

Ruin of St Mary's Church Callan.

This Trinity Stone, depicting The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is one of only a dozen extant in all of Ireland.  It was sculptured by Master Sculptor, Rory O’Tunney, (c 1520).

O’Tunney, born into a family of sculptors, originated in Callan, County Kilkenny and was primarily a sculptor of tombs. Among his more prominent works are three tombs in Kilcooly Abbey, Co. Tipperary, the tomb of Sir John Grace and his wife Honora Brenach, at Grace’s Chapel, Tullaroan, Co. Kilkenny, and the tombs of Robert Walsh and his wife, Katherine Poer, at Jerpoint Abbey. For St. Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, the O’Tunney workshop carved a number of knightly effigies, such as the effigy of James Schorthals (1507); they also carved the double Purcell tomb in St John’s Priory, Kilkenny, and possibly the Archer Tomb in St. Mary’s Graveyard, Thurles, Co.Tipperary.

This Trinity Stone was formerly at St Mary’s Church, Green Street,Callan, but was donated to the present Roman Catholic Church by the Church of Ireland Rector of Callan, Rev. Charles Butler Stevenson, in the early 19th century. (Note: Within the confines of this St Mary’s ruins is buried Adam le Blund, the second husband of Dame Alice Kytler, the fourteenth century Kilkenny native, also the earliest person accused and condemned for witchcraft in Ireland, who escaped to England. Her servant Petronella de Meath, was later flogged and burned at the stake on November 3rd, 1324.)

The Trinity Stone had been forgotten, until its chance recovery in 1974.

After this unveiling, the new “Guide to Callan,” published by Callan Heritage Society, will be launched in the Parish Hall, by John Paul Phelan T.D..
This “Guide” consists of 64 pages of text, photos, sketches and maps and contains articles on the areas people, history and monuments.  The “Guide to Callan” will sell for €4 at this event.

Tea and biscuits will be served at this event, to which all are invited.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twenty − two =

Anti-Spam Question (*) * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.